I was born in Chicago and lived there for 38 years as Letitia Kaminski. The city was a rich source of information for a formative youth. As a 10 year old, carfare would take me to the Art Institute for lessons on Saturdays, where I was in awe of all the paintings. I took foundation courses at the Bauhaus-driven Institute of Design at Illinois Institute of Technology, eventually receiving undergraduate and graduate degrees elsewhere in studio weaving and art education. In addition, through the Art Institute and the Field Museum, I was trained in scientific illustration. I became a professional archaeological draftsman and eventually had drawings published in a number of international archaeological journals. Whether it is drawing a sherd or plotting the lines of a wall, all this impacted my art work. My archaeological work has taken me all over the world, and everywhere that I go there is inspiration for my art. I have lived and worked in India, Italy, Austria, Poland, with extensive wanderings in Malta, Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Japan, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Bolivia, Greece, Turkey, and elsewhere.
I started visiting New Mexico nearly 40 years ago for the workshops organized by Mary Woodard Davis. No matter where I went in the world, my center was New Mexico, as I was drawn to return, and inspired by the landforms to create pastels paintings and tapestries. After coming to New Mexico very nearly every year, I decided that it should become my permanent home.
Influences include the many teachers, professors and workshop leaders I have experienced throughout the years. Artist influences are Ivan Albright, Claude Monet, Lee Bontecou, Odilon Redon, Naomi Whiting Towner all for very different reasons.
- M. A. in Studio Weaving, Northern Illinois University, 1974.
- B. S. in Art Education, Illinois State University, 1967.
www.dekalbgallery.com (virtual gallery)
RECENT GROUP JURIED SHOWS
- Sky’s the Limit, New Mexico Art League, Juried Exhibition, Albuquerque NM
- Pure Color, Online Juried show, Pastel Society of North Carolina
- Richeson 75 International, Small Works, Kimberly WI
- Degas Pastel Society, 21st Juried Exhibition, New Orleans LA
- Elements, Bob Owens Gallery, Dahlonega GA, (A traveling tapestry show of 29 artists that went to two venues in Australia, two venues in the UK and one in the USA. It traveled for 3 years, starting in 2016.)
- 21st Annual Masterworks of New Mexico, Juried Exhibition, Albuquerque NM.
- 27th National Pastel Painting Exhibition, Sorrel Sky Gallery, Santa Fe NM
- One Person Show: Territories of Inspiration, Fuller Lodge Art Center, Portal Gallery, Los Alamos NM
- Pastel Society of New Mexico, National Pastel Painting Exhibition, Sorrel Sky Gallery, Santa Fe NM
- Masterworks of New Mexico, 20th Annual Fine Art Show, EXPO NM, Albuquerque NM.
- Tapestry as Exploration and Innovation, Los Alamos NM
- Land of Enchantment PSNM Juried Exhibition, Santa Fe NM
- Arizona Pastel Art Association National Show, Sedona AZ.
- Masterworks of New Mexico, 19th Annual Fine Art Show, Albuquerque NM.
- Fiber Crawl, Museo Cultural Invitational, Santa Fe NM
- Santa Fe Public Library, Las Tejedoras Fiber, Santa Fe NM
- Small Works Exhibit, PSNM, Studio J Gallery, Albuquerque NM
- Pastel Society of the Southwest, 17th National Exhibition, Grapevine TX, Award of Merit.
- Degas Pastel Society, 20th Membership Exhibition, New Orleans LA
- Mythology and More, Fuller Lodge Art Center, Los Alamos NM
- Small Works Show , ArtBox Gallery, DeKalb IL
- Abrams Gallery Invitational, UNM Hospital, Albuquerque NM
- Old Martina’s Hall, Fiber Selections, Ranchos de Taos, NM
- Tapestry Show, University of NM, Soccorro NM
- Pastel Society of NM, National Pastel Painting Exhibition, Albuquerque NM
Other years are similar with places and exhibits however an exception is the Australian, Great Britain, United States Travelling Tapestry Exhibit, The Four Elements. 2017-2018
I have been asked to curate several shows in the past where I select the artists and theme. These include:
- Enchanted Pathways: Fiber Exhibition, William and Joseph Gallery, Santa Fe NM
- “Messagemakers”, ArtSpace Gallery, Lima Ohio: 56 works by 20 artists.
- National Tapestry Invitational Exhibition, ArtSpace Gallery, Lima Ohio
- Rio Grande Sun, two cover pages and articles, Tapestries at Ghost Ranch.
- “Line in Tapestry” by Kathe Todd Hooker, page 39, the Eccentric Line
- “Fiberarts Design Book Five”, edited by Ann Batchelder, page 167
- Technical illustrations in various archaeological journals, including Annual of the British School of Athens and the volume Messapia: An Archaeological Survey in the Heel of Italy
- 1996 – Present Independent Artist
- 1989 – 1996 Adjunct at The Ohio State University, Department of Art
- 1986 – 1988 Substitute teaching
- 1984 – 1986 Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canadian Weavers Guild.
- 1967 – 1984 Morton West High School, Art Department, Berwyn and Cicero IL
- Best of Show, Artspace, Lima Ohio 2006
- Handweavers Guild of America 1997
- St. Louis Weavers Guild 1997
- Ontario Crafts Council 1986
- Polish Arts Club of Chicago 1980
- Degas Pastel Society, Signature member 2017
- Pastel Society of the Southwest, Signature member 2018
- Pastel Society if New Mexico, Signature member 2019